Caramelized Onions Hummus
Ah hummus, what a great love story … So here is my version of Caramelized Onions Hummus!
Hummus is so simple to make: you can vary it in so many ways that you never get tired of it. Two other hummus recipes are also available on the blog.
As always, you can spread it on all your desires (even the craziest), or incorporate it into your warm dishes as a sauce. Add a little water or plant based milk to make it thinner.
It really is a perfect recipe for spring and summer, for your picnics or quick lunches. Keep some caramelized onions to add as a garnish or to your sandwich, it adds even more relief, it’s delicious!
If you tried this Caramelized Onions Hummus or any other recipe on the blog, let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment! Be sure you are following me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook for more tasty recipes!
Caramelized Onion Hummus
- 315 g Cooked chickpeas - don't discard the cooking water 155g uncooked
- 200 mL Chickpea water
- 400 g White onions 4-5 small ones
- 20 g Brown sugar
- 45 g Tahini sesame paste
- 1 Lemon (juice)
- 1 Garlic clove
- a dash of Salt, pepper, and cumin
- Extra-virgin Olive oil
- In a pan, add the thinly sliced onion with some oil and 2 pinches of salt.
- Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes. When it's soft and translucent, add the brown sugar and cook 15 more minutes. You can put a lid on the pan to make them softer.
- In a blender, add the chickpeas, the caramelized onion (keep 30g aside for topping), the tahini, lemon juice, 3-4 pinches of salt, and some ground black pepper.
- Blend and add at the same time the chickpea cooking water. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a bowl and serve.